Well, I have mastered eggs, rice, and now grits in the Instant Pot. I have tried a couple of actual meals, but they haven't been our favorites. This grits casserole is actually a recipe I have made for awhile, but it has to cook in the oven for 45 minutes. A lot of nights I had planned to make it, I would forget that it took so long to cook, and would just have to scratch it...but in the Instant Pot it took 8 minutes! And they were still just as good. Plus, its a heart healthy recipe!!
Ingredients
2 C fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
2 C water
1 C uncooked grits
1/2 C fat-free milk
1/4 C shredded or grated parmesan cheese
2 3/4-ounce slices fat-free Swiss cheese, diced
1 Tbsp light butter
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp chili powder
*2 ounce canned chopped green chiles, drained
In a large saucepan, bring the broth and water to a boil over medium high heat. Gradually whisk in the grits. Reduce the heat to low. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
Stir in the milk, Parmesan, Swiss cheese, green chiles {optional or I save to mix in later because my kids don't like them}, butter, garlic, salt, and pepper into the grits.
Stir in the egg white and pour into the Instant Pot. Sprinkle with chili powder.
Cook the grits mixture for 8 minutes in the pot with a quick release.
A healthy serving would be 1/2 cup of grits! Enjoy!
Much love ~ Becky
*This recipe was modified from the American Heart Association Cookbook.
*This recipe was modified from the American Heart Association Cookbook.

No comments :
Post a Comment