Tuesday, September 12, 2017

September Slow-Cooker Challenge Day 7 ~ Spaghetti


Well, Irma hit us yesterday, and we did not have power for most of the day.  I told my husband we were going to have to do a "no-cook" challenge because if the power didn't cut back on, then I obviously wasn't going to be able to cook my spaghetti in the crockpot! But at 3 pm, it came back on, and I immediately began prepping.  

Luckily, this is a recipe that can be made on the stovetop or crockpot because it really doesn't have to cook that long! I like cooking it in the crockpot though because I don't have to worry about it getting too thick.  Sometimes when I cook it on the stove, I have to add some water.  It's also nice to prep it during lunch or nap time and let it cook the rest of the afternoon.  

Ingredients
1 pound of lean ground beef
8 oz of mushrooms, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato sauce
1 packet of Italian seasoning

First, brown the meat. In another pan, cook the mushrooms, green peppers, and onions until soft. Once the meat is cooked add it and the vegetables to the crockpot. Then, add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning. Stir and then cook on low for about 3-4 hours. 


My kids and husband ate their sauce with regular spaghetti noodles, but I cooked some spaghetti squash in the oven, and I ate that with my sauce.  I love it! I just cut the squash in half, brushed garlic flavored oil and salt over the cut sides, and roasted them flat side down for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
Take them out and let them cook off.  Then, take a fork and scrape the insides to create "spaghetti squash noodles." A healthy serving would be one cup of spaghetti squash and 3/4 cup of sauce.  Or if you want noodles, then 1/2 cup of noodles and 3/4 cup of sauce.  


Much love ~ Becky

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top