Wednesday, September 6, 2017

September Slow-Cooker Challenge Day 3 ~ Kalua Pig


When one of my friends suggested this slow-cooker recipe, I was very intrigued by the title.  But, then when I looked it up, I realized it was just a fancy name for cooking pork.  Or more specifically, the recipe was a simple way of cooking traditional Hawaiian Kalua Pig without having to dig a hole in your back yard! Kalua Pig is a central main dish in Hawaii, and is featured at almost every Hawaiian luau.  Kalua means to cook in an underground oven, so a traditional Kalua Pig is the whole pig cooked underground.  So let's just be thankful someone came up with an alternative for the slow-cooker! 

My thoughts on the recipe...It was super easy to make, and actually tasted great, but we have another slow-cooker pork recipe that we have been using for years, and the Kalua Pig still didn't beat that recipe! I even made some homemade ranch dressing to top the pork with and it was really good, but my husband said he liked the other recipe better.  Again, it tasted great, and anyone who likes simple should make this Kalua Pig recipe.  I modified the recipe a little bit from the Nom Nom Paleo website but only because I only had minced garlic and not whole garlic, and I also didn't have Alaea Red Hawaiian Course Sea Salt, so I used pink Himalayan salt.  I don't really think those two things would have made a big difference, but who knows.  

Ingredients
3 slices of bacon
5 pound Boston butt roast bone-in or out)
1½ tablespoons of Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
2 1/2 tsp of minced

Instructions
Line a slow cooker with 3 slices of bacon. If desired, use a knife to remove the skin from the roast.
Weighed the pork so you can estimate how much salt to use. Follow Judy Rodger’s rule of thumb: use ¾ teaspoon of medium-coarse salt for every 1 pound of meat. (Using fine salt? Use about half that amount.)
Then, cut some slits into the meat and tucked in the minced garlic. Salt the pork all over, and then place the roast on top of the bacon in the slow cooker, skin-side up.
Cover with the lid and cook the roast on low for about 16 hours. (Note: newer slow cookers are hotter and may only require 9-12 hours on the low setting.) Don’t add any liquid!
When the pork is finished cooking, remove the meat and shred it with two forks. Check the pork for seasoning and adjust with the cooking liquid that remains at the bottom of the pot. Don’t just shred the meat in the cooking liquid—it’ll be too salty.
Serve!


Hope you enjoy it!
Much love ~ Becky

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top