This is a recipe we have eaten for awhile now. It came out of the The New American Heart Association Cookbook 8th Edition. This cookbook actually has several, several recipes we eat pretty regularly, so I would definitely encourage you to get it.
The only thing I changed from their chili recipe is not including the green pepper. If my kids saw the green pepper in their chili, then they wouldn't eat it because heaven forbid a little green "thing" be on their noodles. And, yes, my kids as well as my husband eat the chili over noodles. They used to never do this until we found this recipe, and now they love it.
I don't eat the chili over noodles though. I usually eat my chili over a sweet potato, but last night I tried something different. I ate it over butternut squash I roasted in the oven...and it was so good! If you like butternut squash, then I am pretty sure you will love it too. Plus, if you are trying to watch your carb intake, eating the chili over the squash rather than the potato or noodles is a perfect choice!
Ingredients
cooking spray
1 pound of extra-lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 medium green pepper, chopped (remember I left this out of mine)
1 1/2 tsp of minced garlic
1 15.5-ounce can no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 8-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
2 to 3 Tbsp chili powder (I did 2 1/2)
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
noodles, sweet potato, potato, butternut squash (whatever you are going to put the chili over)
2 Tbsp of shredded parmesan cheese
Instructions
Lightly spray skillet and slow-cooker with cooking spray.
In the skillet, cook the beef over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until no longer pink. Make sure to stir and break up the meat. Drain if necessary and pour into the slow-cooker.
Wipe the skillet with paper towels. Lightly spray with cooking spray again and cook the onion and bell pepper (if you decide to use it) over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft, stirring frequently.
Stir in the garlic and cook for 10 seconds, stirring frequently.
Stir in the remaining chili ingredients and onion mixture into the beef. Cook, covered, on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
Prepare the noodles or potatoes as well.
Serve chili topped with cheese.
For the butternut squash, I just either buy it already chopped up into 1/2 inch cubes or chop it myself (not fun though). Once cubed, I toss it with some salt and garlic flavored oil. Then, I roast it in the oven for about 25 minutes or until soft at 425 degrees.
A healthy serving would be 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chili over 1 cup of squash. Or 1/2 cup of sweet potato or 1/2 cup whole wheat noodles.
If you missed, Day 1 - Healthy Potato Soup, then check it out here!
And let me know if you try any of it out! And if you want to keep up with all the slow-cooker recipes I am trying this month, then make sure to type in your email on the right hand side of the blog, and you will get updates to your email.
Much love ~ Becky

No comments :
Post a Comment