Today started my September Slow-cooker challenge. I have challenged myself to cook/try out 20 slow cooker meals that I will make Sunday-Thursday. I am saving Friday and Saturday for eating out or grilling or just doing something different than using the slow-cooker because if I am being honest…it was already really hard to convince my husband to agree to this, so I compromised. J
So to start my challenge, I made Slow-Cooker Skinny Loaded
Potato Soup last night for supper, and it was a great start to the month! We
have a healthy potato soup recipe that we use often, but my husband actually
liked this one better because it was lighter.
I got the recipe from The
Cookie Rookie, but I made some of my own changes! One of the biggest
changes I made was peeling my carrots with a potato peeler. The recipe from the website told you to
thinly slice the carrots, but I wanted them so thin my kids wouldn’t
noticed. Ha! And they didn’t even
notice!
Ingredients
6 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch
cubes
40 ounces of low-sodium chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper (you could do without this is you don’t
like spicy)
½ cup peeled carrots (I used a potato peeler)
½ cup sweet onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
3/8 tsp chives
3/8 tsp dried basil
3/8 tsp dill
1 ½ cup fat-free half and half
1 ½ cup low fat cheddar cheese
For topping
Low fat sour cream or fat-free Greek Yogurt
Turkey bacon cooked, crumbled
Green onion, thinly sliced
Chives, chopped
Instructions:
Spray
the inside of slow cooker with cooking spray and set the temperature to
HIGH.
Pour
diced potatoes, chicken stock, salt, pepper and red pepper into the slow
cooker.
Sauté peeled
carrots and diced onions in 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil 3 minutes or until
onions are translucent.
Add
minced garlic and sauté 30 seconds more.
Add sautéed
carrots, onion and garlic to the potato broth mixture.
Cook
on HIGH for 2-3 hours or until potatoes have softened.
Using
a potato masher, mash part of the cooked vegetables while they are still
in the slow cooker. This is where you will need to mash to the consistency
you like. My family likes it a
little chunky, so I didn’t do much mashing.
Add
herbs, half-and-half, and cheese. Mix well.
Once
cheese has melted, ladle soup into bowls and garnish with toppings of choice.
For a healthy serving, I had ½ cup of soup, 4 slices of
turkey bacon, and I also had a side of steamed broccoli because I needed a
veggie for the day. We also had plenty
leftover that I was able to freeze some for later! I hope you enjoy!
If you would like to keep up with my Slow-cooker September
challenge, then type in your email on the right hand side of the blog. I can’t promise they will all turn out as
well as the potato soup did but I will share either way!
Much love ~Becky

No comments :
Post a Comment