Friday, September 15, 2017

September Slow-Cooker Challenge Day 10 ~ Chicken Fajita Bowl


Yay! I feel so much better, and I was so glad I could enjoy this meal! You know we love Mexican inspired food around here, so I was excited to try this.  I have made chicken fajitas on the stovetop and in the oven, but never in the crockpot, so I wanted to give it a try.  

When I was prepping everything to put in the crockpot at lunch, my husband was home and looking over my shoulder.  He made the comment, "Yeah...I am not going to like this meal." Of course, I pretended like I didn't hear him, and kept prepping.  I am not even sure why he made the comment, but it was what we were eating for supper regardless.  

When it was time to eat supper later, he took a bit, and said, "Mmmm...this is good!" And then quickly stated, "Okay...I was wrong...I admit it." I just smiled and ate my bowl.  It's not often he admits when he is wrong (he of course says thats because he is never wrong), but I'm glad I won him over.  

I really like this option because it was a lot less cleanup.  The one thing I will say is that I kind of like my peppers and onions a little crunchier than the crockpot made them.  However, when they are soft...they have sweeter taste that I love.  So I say all that to say I guess whatever I am in the mood for I will either make them in oven or crockpot...I love them both ways.  

Ingredients
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp of chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
2 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3 medium bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced

Instructions
Place the tomatoes, chipotle pepper, garlic, cumin, paprika, salt, and coriander in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
Spread about the tomato mixture onto the bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Add the chicken breast in a single layer. Top with the peppers and onion.
Cover and cook until the chicken is pull-apart tender, 6 to 7 hours on the LOW setting, 3 to 4 hours on the HIGH setting.
Use 2 large forks to shred the chicken breasts right in the slow cooker. You could stir to combine or because my kids are picky took the chicken out before I shredded it and cut it up in a bowl.  I then used a slotted spoon to get out the peppers, onions, and tomato mixture and put those in another bowl.  My kids would only eat the chicken, so I didn't want them complaining about the peppers being mixed up. 
Then, I cooked the brown rice (I used the frozen brand, so I cooked it in the microwave for 5 minutes).
In the bowl, you can put 3/4 cup of chicken, 1 cup of peppers/onions, and tomatoes, and 1/2 cup of brown rice.  You can also serve with 2 Tbsp of sour cream/Greek yogurt, 2 Tbsp of avocado, or 2 Tbsp of cheese.  

My kids had the chicken and I made them a cheese quesadilla.  They also had a side of the rice.  

Try it out and let me know what you think.  

Much love ~ Becky

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top