Monday, September 18, 2017

September Slow-Cooker Challenge Day 11 ~ Chicken Enchilada Soup


Happy Monday! Last night, I was back at it making slow-cooker meals, and up next, was Chicken Enchilada Soup.  I was a little hesitant to try this one because we already have a Chicken Tortilla Soup we like in the crock-pot, but the "enchilada" part intrigued me. 

After trying it, we realized it was actually very different from our tortilla soup, and quite good as well.  I mean if you want your soup to taste like an enchilada then this is your soup.  I was even surprised my daughter liked it as much as she did.  She even requested it for lunch the next day.  I call that a win!

I also really liked this recipe because it falls right in line with my 21 Day Fix meal plan I try to follow.  I am pretty strict to the meal plan for breakfast, lunch, and snacks because those are meals I eat on my own.  But sometimes I have a hard time at supper because I am only cooking one supper, and my husband and kids aren't on the same diet plan I am on.  Ha! But this recipe made us all happy! 

Ingredients
2tsp olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups veggie broth
8oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
15ox can black beans, rinsed & drained
14.5oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups frozen corn
1tsp cumin
1/2tsp dried oregano
1 pound of chicken tenders or boneless breasts

1/4 cup chopped green onions, for topping
3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese, for topping

Heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic, stirring until soft, about 3 minutes.  
Add the rest of the ingredients to slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
Remove chicken from soup and shred.
Return to slow cooker, stir.
Serve with green onions and cheese.

A healthy serving would be about 1 1/2 cup of soup with 2 Tbsp of cheese and some green onions.  I also made cheese quesadillas for the kids, and they dipped them in the soup.  

Let me know if you try it out! 
Much love ~ Becky

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top