Wednesday, July 5, 2017

6 Healthy Avocado Dinners



My love for avocados runs deep.  And the sad thing is I didn't even realize I loved them so much until about a year ago.  I can literally just cut one up and eat it...plain! However, I do like to add them to just about everything to add that extra taste of goodness.  And you know I try to eat healthy so when I learned all the benefits of eating avocados, I made sure to make them a regular staple item on my grocery store list.  


Someone asked me the other day "What do avocados taste like?" And I couldn't really give them an answer! I just said, "Not sure...but they are good."  My husband and kids on the other hand could do without them which is sad, but doesn't phase my desire to try every new avocado recipe I see on Pinterest.  Luckily, my husband approves of these six dinners...still trying to win over my kids though.  The other really great thing is that if you don't like avocados you can pretty much take them out of these recipes and still have a delicious supper!

Salmon Tacos with Avocado Salsa



So here is the recipe I used http://www.thecookierookie.com/salmon-with-avocado/.  But I shredded the salmon after it was cooked to add to tortillas.  I also used regular "chili powder" because in my small town "ancho chili powder" doesn't exist.  And I just used lime juice in the bottle instead of fresh lime juice because let's be honest....two kids and no time means I need simple.  Still tasted great! To make it a "healthy serving" you should only make two tacos with two 6-inch corn tortillas, 3/4 cup of salmon divided, and 1/3 cup of avocado salsa divided.  

BLT Toast with Eggs and Avocado



I just love anything egg and avocado so this was just a simple recipe I made up! I didn't actually put lettuce on the toast even though it is called a BLT, but that is what it reminded me of when I made it! Cook two eggs (I like mine over easy so the juices run!) and put the eggs along with a slice or two of tomato and two slices of turkey bacon over a piece of whole wheat toast with smashed avocado! Another version: cover a piece of whole wheat toast with salsa then place two cooked eggs and sliced avocado on top! So good!



Turkey Avocado Wraps



We actually had these for supper and then for lunch! Super simple! The only thing I changed was that I just used a corn tortilla and I didn't put as much apple cider vinegar! https://www.beachbodyondemand.com/blog/turkey-avocado-wrap

Shrimp and Avocado Taco Salad


Okay, so this is by far my favorite one! I literally had to make my husband put it up before I devoured the whole thing! There is just something about the dressing you make to go over this salad that makes it so good! The only thing I did different from the recipe was not use fresh lime juice and just used the lime juice in the bottle, and I didn't crush chips over top.  We just simply used our chips to eat the salad like nachos.  To make a "healthy serving": 6 chips with 3/4 cup of shrimp, 1 cup of lettuce, cabbage, and tomato mixture, and 1/3 cup of avocados.
http://iowagirleats.com/2015/04/22/shrimp-and-avocado-taco-salad/

Shrimp and Avocado Rolls 


This was super easy to make and quite tasty.  The kids lived just eating the shrimp and the whole wheat bun!  Stir together 1 tsp. mustard, 1 Tbsp of lemon juice, small pinch paprika, and ground black pepper, to taste. Dice ¼ ripe avocado. In a small bowl, toss diced avocado with ¾ cup pre-cooked shrimp and  dressing. Fill 1 small whole wheat bun with ½ cup chopped romaine lettuce, shrimp mixture, and top.  This only makes one serving!

I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as did! Please comment below if your an avocado fan too! It is sad being the only person in my household who loves them, so it would be good to know there are other people in this world that share my love for avocados!

Also, if you want to get emails when I post new recipes, then just type in your email on the right hand side where it says "Follow by email." 

Much love ~ Becky

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top