This weekend was so fun, and filled with lots of family time. On Saturday, we had a get together for my grandmother, mom, and cousin coming into town and everyone brought a random assortment of things to eat. I merged two of my favorite recipes together and made these mini-barbecue sandwiches! And they were so good! Possibly my new favorite way to use the pork from my pork carnita slow-cooker recipe.
Here's how I cooked the pork:
1 (3-pound) boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed
5 teaspoons of minced garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 chipotle chiles canned in adobo sauce, drained and chopped
20 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
2/3 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup bottled salsa
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
10 lime wedges
Make 1/2-inch-deep slits on outside of roast; stuff with garlic. Combine cumin and next 3 ingredients (through black pepper) in a small bowl. Place roast in a 3 1/2-quart electric slow cooker. Sprinkle pork on all sides with spice mixture.
Combine juices and chipotle chiles. Pour juice mixture over pork. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until pork is tender.
Remove pork from slow cooker; shred with 2 forks. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Combine shredded pork and 1/2 cup cooking liquid; toss well.
When the pork was done, I turned the oven on broil, and assembled the sandwiches. I got the Hawaiian roles, and sliced them open placing them on a baking sheet with cut side facing up. I put 1 tbsp of our favorite barbecue sauce on the bottom, then 2 Tbsp of the pork, then 1 tbsp of sweet relish, 1 tbsp of monterey jack cheese, 1 tsp of red onion, and lastly, 1 more tbsp of barbecue sauce on top of the onion. Place the sandwiches in the oven for just a few minutes. You just want the cheese melted and bread toasted. Take them out of the oven, and place the top of the roll on top of the sandwich and serve!
I hope you enjoy!
Much love ~ Becky
No comments :
Post a Comment