Friday, November 3, 2017

Heart Healthy Baked Potato Soup


We love potato soup! And over the years, I have tried tons...I mean tons...of healthier options of this soup! Back in November, we tried a slow-cooker version that was really good, but this is hands down our favorite potato soup stove-top recipe.  Plus, it's very easy to make.

I got the recipe from the American Heart Association cookbook we use all the time.  I did make a couple of changes to their recipe...just to make things easier for me.  The original recipe makes enough for 4 people, but we always ran out, so I started doubling the recipe.  This the 4-serving recipe, so double everything if you need to.  

Ingredients
2 8-ounce baking potatoes
2 slices of turkey bacon
1 1/2 Tbsp of canola oil
1 small onion
2 1/2 TBS of all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups of fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups of fat free milk
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
2 Tbsp of low-fat cheddar cheese
green onions for garnish 

First, you need to cook the the potatoes.  I usually cook them in the microwave because I forget, but you could cook them in the oven as well.  {425 degrees for about an 1 and 15 min.} Let them stand for about 15-20 minutes.  Cut in half and scoop out the flesh.  
In a dutch oven or soup pot, cook the turkey bacon over medium heat for 8 minutes.  Transfer to a small plate to cook, then crumble, and set aside.  
Using the oil in the same pan, cook the onion over medium-low heat until beginning to soften.  
Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
Slowly whisk in the broth until the flour dissolves.  
Whisk in the milk.
Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  
Stir in the potato pieces.  Return to a simmer and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. 
Whisk in the sour cream by spoonfuls. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes to heat through, but do not boil. 
Serve with sprinkled with cheese and green onions, and turkey bacon.  

For a heathy serving, I would only do 1/2 cup of soup but add a side of steamed broccoli and 4 slices of turkey bacon.  That way you still get to enjoy the soup and also fill up that belly.

I hope you enjoy!
Much love ~ Becky

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top