Thursday, September 21, 2017

September Slow-cooker Challenge Day 14 ~ Vegetable Soup


I think vegetable soup is the easiest thing to make either in the slow cooker or on the stove.  You just search through your pantry, fridge, or freezer for any vegetables, add them to some chicken/vegetable broth, and cook! I probably never make it the same way because I always change up one or two vegetables depending on what I have.  But that's what makes it so great!

I should probably also say that I also like to add cooked ground turkey or hamburger meat to the soup which probably doesn't make it vegetable soup anymore, but we like to have the little bit of protein in our family.

Ingredients
1 15-oz can of tomatoes
1 15-oz can of tomato sauce
2 cans chicken broth
1 10-oz package of frozen whole kernel corn
1 10-oz package of frozen butter beans
1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
1 large onion, chopped
2 whole carrots sliced
3 celery ribs, sliced
1 pound of ground turkey or hamburger meat, cooked
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 tsp basil
1 tsp sugar
black pepper and salt to tast

Cook the meat.  Combine all ingredients and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
I got the recipe from our local Junior League Cookbook, and then I added the meat.

A healthy serving would be about 1 1/2 cup of soup.  I also made grilled cheese sandwiches for the kids to have with their soup, and they loved it.  

What kinds of ways do you like to make your vegetable soup?

Much love ~ Becky

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top