Friday, August 25, 2017

Dump and Go ~ Chicken Tortilla Soup


  1. Even though "Dump Meals" don't have the best title, they definitely are my favorite kind of meal.  I mean who wouldn't want to dump a meal in the slow cooker, and BAM...supper is served 6 hours later.  We have eaten Chicken Tortilla soup for awhile at our house, but I have never made it "dump" style until the other night. I usually cut up everything and cook it on the stove the night of, but I decided to see how this would work by prepping everything on Sunday, and putting it all in a bag ready to "dump" out into the slow-cooker.  On the night we had the soup, I asked my husband, "How do you like it?" He said, "We have had this before, so I like it just as much as I did the last time." So to me that was a win because he didn't even realize I had cooked it a different way.  Here is the recipe:
  2. 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
    2 Cups Sliced Celery (about 4 medium stalks)
    2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
    4 Medium Tomatoes, Chopped
    6 Cups Low-Sodium Organic Chicken Broth, Divided Use
    5 or 6 chicken tenders
    1 1/2 Sliced Carrots (about 3 medium)
    1 Tsp Dried Oregano
    1 Tsp Chili Powder 
    1/2 Tsp Sea Salt (or Himalayan salt)
    1/2 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
    1/2 Medium Avocado, Chopped
    1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
    4 Tsp Crumbled Cotija (or feta) Cheese
  3. Tortilla Chips, crushed
On Sunday, I put the first 11 ingredients in a large ziploc bag (4 cups of the broth...save 2 cups for cooking) and put it in the freezer.  The day before, or the day of take the bag out to defrost.  Dump into the slow cooker, add the remaining 2 cups of broth and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken is done.  Take the chicken out to shred and place the shredded chicken back in the slow-cooker.  You could also cook everything in the slow cooker for the 6-8 hours, and just add chopped up rotisserie chicken you got from deli (about 3-4 cups).  Either way, serve with chopped avocado, crushed tortilla chips, and cheese.  A healthy portion would be 1 1/2 of soup, 2 tbsp of cheese, 2 tbsp of chopped avocado, and a few crushed tortilla chips.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Much love ~ Becky

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top