Sunday, July 23, 2017

Recipe Re-Take: Pimento Cheese Sandwich



Back in February, my husband and I visited Jekyll Island.  While there, we ate at place right on the water that served a different, yet amazing pimento cheese sandwich.  As soon as I saw it on the menu, I knew I had to try it, and I was so glad I did.  It was so good, and unique because of the way it was made.  Of course, it was pimento cheese, but it was served on toasted sourdough bread with a fried green tomato and applewood bacon.  I would never have put these ingredients together, but it was a great combination.  I have been thinking of this sandwich ever since February, so I wanted to recreate, but in a little more healthier format.  So here is what I did to recreate the sandwich with healthier options:

1.  I used olive oil mayonnaise to make the pimento cheese (I just shredded sharp cheese and added the amount of mayonnaise and pimentos (with juice) that I prefer.  I think this differs between people because of taste buds.  I would encourage the smallest amount of mayonnaise you could handle and make sure to get the juice from the pimentos because I think that makes up for using not as much mayonnaise.) 

2.  I toasted whole wheat bread instead of sourdough bread, and I made it an open-faced sandwich

3.  I oven fried the tomatoes, instead of frying them in oil.  (Here is the recipe I used for the oven-fried green tomatoes.  This recipe calls for corneal, but I didn't have any, so I used bread crumbs: http://www.food.com/recipe/oven-fried-green-tomatoes-70048). 

4.  I used turkey bacon instead of applewood bacon.  

And, I will have to say even with these changes, the sandwich was just as good as it was back in February.  Now, I can enjoy this sandwich on a regular basis, instead of just on vacation. 

Much love ~ Becky 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top