Happy Friday! Well, we have made it to our last slow-cooker meal of the month, and we definitely ended on one of the best! Now, I will have to say that this recipe can be quite dangerous because it so good you just keep eating, and, if you are like me, then you eat way more than you should. It's probably not the healthiest recipe, but I think if you eat the right portion size, then you are doing pretty well. Plus, we have to treat ourselves every now and then.
The actual name of the recipe I used is "Loaded Carnitas Trash Can Lid Nachos." I think it got this name because you basically just throw a whole bunch of goodness on the chips and enjoy! I used my regular pork carnitas recipe to cook the pork and then I added the stuff we would like to the nachos. I also didn't find "nacho cheese" like the original recipe called for, so I just used Mexican cheese dip. Not the best substitute, but my family wasn't mad about it. The kids only ate the chips, pork, and cheese, but my husband and I ate them fully loaded!
My original Pork Carnitas Recipe
1 (3-pound) boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed
5 teaspoons of minced garlic
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 chipotle chiles canned in adobo sauce, drained and chopped
For the nachos
1 Blue Tostito Chips
1 small container of Mexican Cheese Dip
5 radishes, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh pico de gallo
1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 avocado, cut into thin slices
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Make 1/2-inch-deep slits on outside of Boston Butt; stuff with garlic. Combine cumin and next 3 ingredients (through black pepper) in a small bowl. Place Boston Butt in a 3 1/2-quart electric slow cooker. Sprinkle pork on all sides with spice mixture.
Combine juices and chipotle chiles. Pour juice mixture over pork. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until pork is tender.
Once the pork is done, shred it with a fork and melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan. Add the shredded pork to the pan and cook until the moisture has mostly evaporated off and the pork has started to crisp. Season with the lime juice and additional sea salt to taste.
To assemble the nachos, spread the chips out on the sheet pan. Top with the carnitas, nacho cheese, and remaining toppings.
So my final thoughts on the September Slow-Cooker Challenge:
1. I am so glad I did this challenge because it forced me to try out some new recipes. And we have some recipes to add to our normal rotation of dinners.
2. Using the slow-cooker for ease kind of lost its appeal after the second week. I think we love to use it for some meals...not all our meals.
3. I bought crockpot liners to use, so I wouldn't have to clean it every night, and I remembered to use it twice.
4. I actually feel like I had more dishes to clean. Go figure!
5. My favorite meals...General Tso Chicken, Honey Garlic Chicken, Mississippi Pot Roast, Breakfast Casserole, and the Pork Nachos today!
Now what to do next month!
Much love ~ Becky
1. I am so glad I did this challenge because it forced me to try out some new recipes. And we have some recipes to add to our normal rotation of dinners.
2. Using the slow-cooker for ease kind of lost its appeal after the second week. I think we love to use it for some meals...not all our meals.
3. I bought crockpot liners to use, so I wouldn't have to clean it every night, and I remembered to use it twice.
4. I actually feel like I had more dishes to clean. Go figure!
5. My favorite meals...General Tso Chicken, Honey Garlic Chicken, Mississippi Pot Roast, Breakfast Casserole, and the Pork Nachos today!
Now what to do next month!
Much love ~ Becky

No comments :
Post a Comment